In Which the Pirate Clears the Bobbins.
In preparation for the Great Sweater Spin (the custom blend of fibre I ordered from World of Wool) I busied myself by finishing the spinning project I already had going and knocking out a new one as well.
Michael’s mom gave me four ounces of this yak-silk blend from Greenwood Fiberworks a few years ago, and after a lot of waffling over whether I’d be able to do justice to the fibre by spinning it, I stripped it into lots of stripes, spun it as finely as I could while still remaining mostly consistent, and chain-plied it to maintain the colour sequence. It came out to 258 yards when I was done.
This was a tricky spin. The silk fibres tended to slide out first, leaving me with small clumps of yak to deal with. I think that splitting it lengthwise actually helped quite a bit with that, though. Originally, I’d wanted to pull it apart the other way and spin all the blue together, all the red together, etc. It became obvious pretty quickly that I’d need to change my plan. Now I’m considering spinning an equal amount of white silk and knitting a moebius cowl in two-colour brioche…
Next, I had six sample ounces of Buoy Blend from Hipstrings. I organized them in a gradient from light blue to dark blue, then from dark purple to light pink, and split the middle four colours in half. The light blue and light pink, I pulled one third off. Then, to offset the colour shift in the yarn, I spun one bobbin that started with a smaller amount of light blue and ended with a larger amount of light pink, and a second bobbin that started with the larger amount of light blue and ended with the smaller amount of light pink.
I think it worked, but I would try to be even more precise if I were to do this technique again.
I really enjoyed spinning this yarn, and I’m also glad that I got a sample of it instead of enough for a whole sweater. It’s soft, but a little hairy and I’m not sure I’d want to wear it next to my skin. The finished skein is 320 yards, and I think this is going to make an excellent wrap, knit on large needles for an airy, lacy look. Hopefully there’s enough of it to do what I want!