I forgot to write about these socks, but I finished them about a month ago. Oops! After the second time the Pirate Socks went wrong, I angrily cast on this simple pair of socks so that I could knit something that would come out right.

It's a standard 64-stitch sock, with 2x2 ribbing at the cuff, and the flap heel/gusset that I've worked out to fit the shape of my foot. The yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenweit Colortweed, which I bought in (yikes) 2007 when I was first getting into sock knitting - an oldie but a goodie, and I'm glad to have gotten it out of my stash!

The "Got the Blues" socks, knit in gradiated shading stripes of dark to light blue.

I like to make my stripy socks as much of a matched pair as possible. For these, I knit until the leg was "long enough" and then started the heel flap at a convenient reference point: the first stitch of the darkest blue part of the colour progression. The heel flap and turn didn't use an entire stripe, so after the heel turn, I broke the yarn and skipped ahead in the colour sequence. That way, the picked-up gusset stitches would again begin with that darkest blue, and the sequence wouldn't break across my ankle. I also made a note of where I started the toe decreases so that they'd match perfectly at the ends.

Et voilà:

Pirate's feet modeling the "Got the Blues" socks, knit in gradiated shading stripes of dark to light blue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Leave a Reply