Because I like to get as much finished before the year ends as I can, I spent some time on December 31st plying and skeining yarn. First, two more skeins of The Fleece:

Two skeins of handspun, three-ply brown yarn.

I tried really hard to match the first set of Fleece yarn when I was spinning the singles for this. The good news is that I seem to be spinning less densely... and the bad news is that these two new skeins don't match the originals. Which means I have to spin even more of the stuff before I can consider knitting anything from it. Sighhhh.

In keeping with the "let's try to spin less densely" efforts, I spun this gray Suffolk from World of Wool to a fine two-ply and while it's balanced, it sure does seem underplied. So maybe it's also underspun? I don't know, and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it, but at least it's not twisting back on itself. I guess that's progress?

Two skeins of handspun, two-ply gray yarn.

My frustration with my lazy kate continues: the spindles on the Akerworks kate that I bought are not quite tall enough for the Kromski Woolee Winder bobbins, and so I cannot tension them. I think the solution here is going to be making my own arched kate. I drew up the plans for a plywood prototype that will fit the tallest and widest of my bobbins, and hopefully will find the time to cut it out and put it together soon.

A drawing of plans for a four-bobbin lazy kate. The drawing is held down by a selection of mostly-empty spinning wheel bobbins, a pencil, and a ruler. A shoebox full of bobbins is in the background.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Leave a Reply